Friday, November 2, 2012

There's an old saying, "sometimes the sun even shines on a dog's rear end." The same can be said about the Roan Highlands. I can remember setting off for Carver's Gap on many occasions with a crystal clear sky only to be swallowed up by clouds atop the balds of Roan.
Ice covered fence post leaving Carver's Gap

Recently, a cold front collided with Hurricane Sandy as it was making it's way up the eastern seaboard and dumped over a foot of snow on the Roan Highlands. Thursday, I had the chance to get up on the mountain and the scenery was almost surreal. Here is some pictures of my day, I can honestly say they don't do it justice, I had never seen anything like it. Enjoy, and...happy trails.
Mt. Mitchell on the horizon
Frozen barbwire
pine tree branches

Hump Mountain
deep drifts were everywhere
congrats, TDOT!

1 comment:

  1. Incredible! I must agree, it was tragic that I wasn't there to witness such beauty!

    ReplyDelete